A mystery detective film with plenty of twists to keep you guessing from the beginning to the end, Knives Out is set in America.
It’s whole setting and atmosphere resembles an Agatha Christie murder plot although it is not based on one of her books. This movie is an homage for her work and a welcome change from the fast-paced modern crime movies.
What happens in the movie?
Most of the action takes place in the home belonging to an 85-year-old writer, Harlan Thrombey. He appears to have committed suicide in his attic but small clues rise questions and the story starts rolling…
With a slow beginning, the action starts to unfold keeping the viewer in suspense. Watching the movie is like playing a game of Cluedo and one can easily find himself blaming one of the characters as being the murderer only to find another clue that changes everything.
It turns out that all the evidence has been hiding in plain sight, and, maybe unlike any mystery film before it, the initial theory turns out to be accurate. Just as the police first ruled, Harlan Thrombey died of suicide by cutting his own throat.
The main characters:
- Harlan Thrombey (Christopher Plummer) – A wealthy mystery novelist found dead after his 85th birthday party.
- Marta Cabrera (Ana de Armas) – Harlan’s nurse and a close friend
- Benoit Blanc (Daniel Craig) – A world-famous private detective anonymously hired to solve Harlan’s case
- Hugh Ransom Drysdale (Chris Evans) – Harlan’s grandson (Linda and Richard’s son), a spoiled playboy
- Linda Drysdale (Jamie Lee Curtis) – a real estate mogul, Harlan’s eldest daughter
- Walt Thrombey (Michael Shannon) – Harlan’s publishing company CEO, his youngest son
- Richard Drysdale (Don Johnson) – Linda’s husband, Harlan’s son-in-law
- Joni Thrombey (Toni Collette) – a lifestyle guru, Harlan’s daughter-in-law
- Detective Lieutenant Elliott (Lakeith Stanfield) – A local police detective
Where was Knives Out filmed?
The exterior of the house was filmed about 17 miles west of Boston, at a mansion located in Natick. They used The Ames Mansion in Borderland State Park, Massachusetts, for many interior shots. Filming scenes included Natick, Massachusetts, Maynard, Marlborough, Easton, Medfield, Waltham, Wellesley and Berlin.
Who directed The Knives Out?
This is the fifth film written and directed by Rian Craig Johnson, an American filmmaker (born on December 17, 1973, in Silver Spring, Maryland). He is known for writing and directing Brick (2005), The Brothers Bloom (2008), Looper (2012), Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017).
With this movie, Johnson earned a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay and Knives Out was nominated for the Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy.
Where can you see the movie Knives Out?
You can rent or buy the movie, online or on a physical disc. Online is the easiest, fastest and cheaper method but, If you need a disc, you can order it from Walmart or VUDU.
These days, you can watch this movie anywhere on the planet, where you have a good internet connection. If you prefer Google, Microsoft or any other provider, visit an online specialized site for Knives Out stream.